Document Type : Original Article
Beijing Technology and Business University, China
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) have many potential applications and unique challenges. They usually consist of hundreds or thousands small sensor nodes such as MICA2 which operate autonomously conditions such as cost invisible deployment and many application domains, lead to small size and limited resources sensors. WSNs are susceptible to many types of link layer attacks and most of traditional networks security techniques are unusable on WSNs due to wireless and shared nature of communication channel, untrusted transmissions, deployment in open environments, unattended nature and limited resources. So, security is a vital requirement for these networks; but we have to design a proper security mechanism that attends to WSN's constraints and requirements. In this paper, we focus on security of WSNs, divide it (the WSNs security) into four categories and will consider them, include: an overview of WSNs, security in WSNs, the threat model on WSNs, a wide variety of WSNs' link layer attacks and a comparison of them. This work enables us to identify the purpose and capabilities of the attackers; also, the goal and effects of the link layer attacks on WSNs are introduced. Also, this paper discusses known approaches of security detection and defensive mechanisms against the link layer attacks; this would enable it security managers to manage the link layer attacks of WSNs more effectively.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). Fault‐tolerant mechanism for wireless sensor network. IET wireless sensor systems, 10(1), 23-30.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2019). Fault tolerance in WSN through PE‐LEACH protocol. IET wireless sensor systems, 9(6), 358-365.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2019). Detection and avoidance of water loss through municipality taps in India by using smart taps and ICT. IET wireless sensor systems, 9(6), 447-457.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). Survey on fault tolerance‐based clustering evolution in WSN. IET networks, 9(4), 145-155.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2021). Fault tolerance in WSN through uniform load distribution function. International journal of sensors wireless communications and control, 11(4), 385-394.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020, October). Nub less sensor based smart water tap for preventing water loss at public stand posts. 2020 IEEE microwave theory and techniques in wireless communications (MTTW)(Vol. 1, pp. 145-150). IEEE.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2022). IoE based framework for smart agriculture. Journal of ambient intelligence and humanized computing, 13(1), 407-424.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2021). A fault tolerant routing scheme for advanced metering infrastructure: an approach towards smart grid. Cluster computing, 24(3), 2193-2211.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2021). An IoT based efficient multi-objective real-time smart parking system. International journal of sensor networks, 37(4), 219-232.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2019). Fault tolerance through energy balanced cluster formation (EBCF) in WSN. In Smart innovations in communication and computational sciences(pp. 313-321). Springer, Singapore.
- Panda, H., Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). WSN-based water channelization: an approach of smart water. In Smart cities—opportunities and challenges(pp. 157-166). Springer, Singapore.
- Mohapatra, H., & Amiya Kumar, R. (2020). 'IoT-based smart water' [Control, Robotics & Sensors, 2020], 'IoT Technologies in Smart Cities: From sensors to big data, security and trust', Chap. 3, pp. 63-82, DOI: 0.1049/PBCE128E_ch3, IET Digital Library.
- Mohapatra, H. (2021, September). Socio-technical challenges in the implementation of smart city. 2021 international conference on innovation and intelligence for informatics, computing, and technologies (3ICT)(pp. 57-62). IEEE.
- Mohapatra, H. (2020). Offline drone instrumentalized ambulance for emergency situations. IAES international journal of robotics and automation, 9(4), 251-255.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). Fundamentals of software engineering: designed to provide an insight into the software engineering concepts. BPB Publications.
- Mohapatra, H. (2021). Designing of fault tolerant models for wireless sensor network(Doctoral dissertation, Ph. D Dissertation, Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology). Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10603/333160
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). Social distancing alarming through proximity sensors for COVID-19. Easy chair, 18. https://wvvw.easychair.org/publications/preprint_download/dMGk
- H. (2021). Smart city with wireless sensor network, ISBN-13: 979-8791261380, KDP, 2021.
- Mohapatra, H. (2018). C Programming: practice.cpp. Independently Publisher.
- Mohapatra, Hitesh; Rath, Amiya Kumar, ’Smart Bike Wheel Lock for Public Parking’, Application Number: 336834-001.
- Mohapatra, H., & Rath, A. K. (2020). Advancing generation Z employability through new forms of learning: quality assurance and recognition of alternative credentials. DOI: 13140/RG.2.2.33463.06560
- Mohapatra, H. (2009). HCR using neural network (PhD’s Desertion, Biju Patnaik University of Technology). Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/29846341/HCR_English_using_Neural_Network
- Mohapatra, H. (2019). Ground level survey on sambalpur in the perspective of smart water(No. 1918). Retrieved from https://easychair.org/publications/preprint/CWpb